Shelter in Place Tips
Sometimes the best way to stay safe in an emergency is to get inside and stay there until police or OLLU officials give the all clear.
How do you shelter in place?
- Secure the area you’re in by locking or barricading door.
- Avoid attracting attention. For example, turn off lights, silence cell phones, close shades/blinds, turn off computer screens.
- Immediately seek protection. For example, hide under/behind large furniture, behind a wall or in a closet.
- If you are not in a classroom or an office when you’re asked to Shelter-in-Place, hide in a closet, a bathroom or under tables that might be around you.
- If you’re outdoors when asked to Shelter-in-Place, you should go to an undamaged building nearby and stay there. If you’re outside and can’t get into a building, you should seek shelter using things around you like benches, cars, trees or large trashcans.
- If you happen to be in your car when you receive the order to shelter-in-place and feel you can safely leave the campus, do so. If you cannot or are unsure, then consider hiding in your car.
- If you’re driving towards campus when you receive a message asking you to shelter-in-place, then simply stay away from campus.
- Wait for instructions from OLLU or Police.
Click here to view a training video with important tips regarding an active shooter situation (video courtesy of the City of Houston Mayor’s Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security).