Close Video
skip to main content

Residence Hall Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are answers to frequently asked questions from students and families regarding living in the residence halls on campus. For more information, contact the Residence Life office.

As educators, we cultivate intentional living-learning environments that foster development of mind and heart. Through collaboration, we are committed to providing affordable housing for students in a responsible environment that promotes personal growth, academic achievement, community responsibility and respect for individual differences.

Yes - in the housing application, you can select which building and style you would like to live in. Room selections are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. The sooner you complete your application, the better your chances of getting the hall or apartment of your choice. 

Yes - in the housing application, you can provide the name of a requested roommate. Room assignments are made at the time of application. If your requested roommate has not applied, or has different housing preferences from yours, it is possible you will not be placed together.

Yes, you can submit roommate and room change requests after the 12th class day of each semester. The Office of Residence Life will provide instructions after fall and spring check-in.

Roommate Tips:

  • Roommate information will be sent out in your confirmation letter.
  • If you use social networking sites to learn about your new roommate, reserve judgment based on this information.
  • Talk to your RA or RLC if you have roommate concerns.
  • Communicate before moving in to discuss:
    • items for the room
    • each student's personal style
    • use of the room and shared space

For more information on room layouts and amenities, see each residential community's page, found here.

Before you invest in any big items, try to coordinate what you will be bringing with your future roommate. Each student is provided, at minimum, with an XL-twin bed frame and mattress, a desk, a chair, a dresser and closet. Here are a few items we suggest you bring:

Residence Halls

Approved wall hangers
  • Command™ strips, blue painter's tape, blue mounting putty
Appliances and Electronics
  • Note: Mini fridge with microwave is provided
  • Computer (with cords)
  • Television (cannot be wall mounted)
  • Bluetooth speaker
  • Gaming System
  • Desk lamp (with bulbs)
  • Pillows
  • Extra-long twin size sheet sets
  • Mattress pad and/or mattress topper
  • Bedspread/blankets
Bathroom Supplies
  • Towels
  • Toiletries 
  • Toilet paper
  • Shower curtain
Laundry Supplies
  • Detergent/fabric softener
  • Hamper
  • Iron/small ironing board
  • Hangers
Cleaning Supplies
  • Toilet bowl cleaner/brush
  • Plunger
  • Glass spray
  • Multi-purpose spray
  • Paper towels
  • Duster
  • Broom/dust pan
  • Trash can
Personal Items
Area Rug(s)
  • Floor plans vary from room to room, so wait to buy these until you move in and know the space.
Small First-Aid Kit
  • Band aids
  • Over-the-counter medications
  • Antibiotic cream
Small Kitchen Items
  • Cups, plates, plastic-ware
  • Paper towels
  • Can opener
  • Dish soap

Slater (Lake View) Apartments

Bring anything on the list above for the Slater (Lake View) Apartments. However, please know that the following are also provided:

  • Full-size refrigerator
  • Microwave
  • Stove w/oven
  • Dishwasher
  • Couch
  • Table with chairs
  • TV stand
  • Coffee table and end tables

For safety reasons, please do not bring:

  • Pets - exceptions are fish in tanks that are 10 gallons or less or approved pets in Ayres Hall.
  • Toaster ovens
  • Space heaters
  • Electric blankets
  • Hotplates
  • Waterbeds
  • Electric frying pans
  • Halogen lamps
  • Lava lamps
  • Candles
  • Fireworks
  • Wireless routers
  • Weapons
  • Crock/Instant pots
  • Bed loft kits

During the Online Housing Application process, students must indicate a need for a housing accommodation or exemption based on a disabling condition. Once you have indicated a need, you will be directed to contact Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) to setup an appointment to discuss housing accommodations. You can also email

Some possible housing accommodations are:

  • ADA accessible room
  • Emotional Support Animal
  • Visual or audio alerts
  • First floor assignment
  • Centralized location
  • Private  bedroom
  • Private bathroom
  • Kitchen in living space 
  • Private living space

Pets are prohibited in Slater Apartments and both Flores and Centennial Halls, except for small fish in 10-gallon tanks or smaller. However, cats and dogs with certain breed and weight restrictions are allowed in Ayres Hall, which is a pet-friendly community. Only upper-class students are eligible for this community. Students can request an application from the Office of Residence Life. Once the application is approved, a $150 nonrefundable application fee is also required before final approval. Contact the Office of Residence Life for more information. Resident students found in violation of the pet policy will go through the conduct process and are subject to cleaning fees.

  • Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) - a full-time, professional staff member who lives in the residence hall or apartments.
  • Resident Assistant (RA) - a full-time, undergraduate or graduate student who works and lives with residents to create a safe and welcoming environment in the residence halls and apartments.

Opposite-gender visitors are permitted in your rooms during the following times:

Visitation Hours

  • Sunday-Thursday: 10am- 12 midnight
  • Friday and Saturday: 10am- 2am

Please see the Residence Life Handbook for a full version of our visitation policy.

Currently, overnight guests are not allowed.

Alcoholic beverages are permitted in Ayres Hall and Slater (Lake View) Apartments only. Resident students of these halls aged 21 or over are permitted to possess and to responsibly consume alcohol in their residence hall rooms, provided all individuals present are aged 21 or older.

Alcoholic beverages and alcohol paraphernalia are prohibited in Centennial and Flores Halls. Residents of these halls, even if aged 21 or older, are prohibited from possessing or consuming alcohol in their rooms. 

For your convenience, we have partnered with Dormify to provide an easy, affordable way to purchase Twin XL bedding, dorm storage solutions, and everything else you'll need (and want) for your new home away from home. Please visit to get move-in day ready and create your dream dorm!  You can reach out to their customer service with any questions at

If you ordered linens or a care package through Our Campus Market (OCM), contact their office at 866-847-7365.

The University Post Office assigns students a campus mailbox. The Post Office and campus mailboxes for resident students are located in St. Ann's Hall. Both flat mail and packages will be distributed at this location. Packages are not received at the Residence Hall or Apartments directly. At the end of each semester, resident students should leave forwarding addresses with the University Post Office. 

Mail should be addressed to:

Resident Name
MSC # ________
411 S.W. 24th Street
San Antonio, Texas 78207

If you have any further questions regarding mail or packages, contact the on-campus post office located in St. Ann's Hall. 

The Office of Residence Life is open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The office is located in the main office of the Lake View Apartments, directly across from the Worden School of Social Service.

Phone: 210-431-3941