Future McNair Scholars
The McNair Scholars Program has existed at OLLU for more than 20 years. The purpose of the program is to prepare eligible and academically talented undergraduate students for admission into doctoral (PhD) programs by providing a simulate graduate school experience. Opportunities for McNair Scholars include research internships, faculty mentorships, GRE preparation and residual success, graduate school visits, professional research presentations, leadership opportunities and graduate school funding support and access.
Applications are accepted throughout the year. Sophomores and juniors who are interested in graduate school are strongly encouraged to apply.
A participant must meet the following requirements before becoming a McNair Scholar:
- Limited income student (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education) and a first-generation college student (where neither parent completed a four-year degree); OR
- A student underrepresented in graduate education as defined the U.S. Department of Education (African American, Hispanic-Latino, Native American and Alaskan, Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian)
Additionally, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be committed to attending graduate school and earning a doctorate/terminal degree
- Full-time OLLU student and have sophomore or junior standing (seniors are accepted on a limited basis)
- Have a GPA or 2.8 or higher
- Completed application
- Personal statement
- Unofficial transcript
- Copy of most recent income tax forms
Current OLLU students interested in applying, please visit the McNair Scholars SharePoint site (login required) for application and detailed information.