Become a McNair Scholar
The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program seeks students who are committed to attending graduate school and earning a doctoral degree. Students must be interested in pursuing a research doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, or equivalent) in any concentration. Professional doctoral degrees (JD, PharmD, MD, PT, OT, DNP, DDS) are not eligible.
Benefits and Opportunities
- Academic coaching
- Financial wellness coaching
- GRE test preparation
- Visits to graduate schools
- Graduate school application fee waivers by most universities.
- Research and scholarly activities
- A stipend of up to $2,800 paid during the summer.
- Paid room and board on campus during 10-week Summer Research Institute.
- Opportunities to present research at local, state, and/or national level
- Participation in cultural events
Interested students must meet the following requirements for consideration for acceptance into the McNair Scholars Program.
- Limited income students (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education ) and a first-generation college student (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education ); OR
- A student in an underrepresented group in graduate studies (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education).
Additionally, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be committed to attending graduate school and earning a doctoral degree
- A full-time OLLU student and have a sophomore or junior standing (seniors are accepted on a limited basis)
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
Program Requirements and Expectations
As a McNair Scholar, you are required to commit in writing to all program requirements and expectations as noted in the Scholar Handbook.
- 10-week paid summer research internship
- Attend all program sponsored events/activities
- Meet with program staff monthly
- Register for three (one credit hour) courses
- Complete a research project within one year
- Register for a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester.
- Attain a doctoral degree within 10 years of attaining a bachelor’s degree from OLLU.
Applying to the McNair Scholars Program is a multi-step process.
- Completed application
- Income Status Verification Document or copy of most recent income tax forms
- Unofficial transcripts
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation.
- One must be from a faculty member who can speak to your potential as a researcher.
- One must be a personal recommender who can speak to your potential to persist through a doctoral program.