Be AACtive Communicators
Summer Program for Augmentative and Alternative Communicators
The Be AACtive Communicators Summer Program is provided by Our Lady of the Lake University and the Harry Jersig Speech and Hearing Center. The program offers beneficial therapy at no cost for children using Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC). Participants will work individually or in small groups with other individuals who have similar difficulties and needs in order to maintain and continue communication progress.
Summer 2020 session dates TBA.
Individual therapy sessions meet for up to 30-45 minutes each day. Group therapy sessions meet for up to 2.5 hours each day. Goals are addressed through interesting activities such as arts and crafts, music and games appropriate to each individual/group. Groups will be divided by:
- Beginning AAC device users - able to engage in play activities and use their device to answer questions using a one or two symbol response
- Intermediate users - able to form three-to-four word messages
- Advanced users - capable of more complex syntactic abilities and need to address critical thinking and/or pragmatic language goals
Master's level students from the Woolfolk School of Communication Sciences and Disorders conduct therapy under the guidance and supervision of the OLLU Clinical Faculty. Each client will be paired with a graduate student clinician who is familiar with their specific goals.
- Enrollment Packet (Client Information Form)
- ARD/IEP, Treatment Plan/Plan of Care and/or recent Evaluation Report
- Observation Release Form (upon acceptance)
Complete forms and return to:
Our Lady of the Lake University
Harry Jersig Speech and Hearing Center
411 S.W. 24th Street
San Antonio, Texas 78207-4689
For more information, contact Amanda Medina at 210-528-7115 or firstname.lastname@example.org.