Areas of Expertise
Data Analytics, Database Design, Systems Analysis and Design, Accounting Information Systems, Compensatory Adaptation, Mobile Device Security Policy.
My teaching philosophy is continuous improvement. I read student evaluations carefully and try to implement changes in my courses each semester based on responses. The perfect course does not exist and a lot of the times what works in one course one year does not work in the next. However, if we continue to strive for constant growth, we can slowly but surely increase student learning and increase positive impressions of our teaching. I incorporate techniques as well as technologies that have the potential to encourage learning inside and outside of the classroom. Practice is crucial, so aside from exams I like to include numerous hands-on assignments, quizzes, cases and presentations. All courses include hands-on elements that allow students to implement what they have learned in the course. These keep the students engaged, assist them in learning the course matter, and help them become better thinkers, communicators, researchers, and writers.
When I say I enjoy learning I do not only mean topics in my field of study. I love languages. In my lifetime, I have studied English (which is my second language), Portuguese, French and American Sign Language. I was raised in Mexico, so Spanish is my first language. I am a patriot and love all things Mexican: clothing, culture, art, food, beaches, soccer (among many others). But really, I enjoy all cultures and the beauty that differences bring. I have a passion for culture, travel, art, and food.
- 2019-2020 Francine Fleming Endowed Award for Teaching Excellence
- Women in Cybersecurity San Antonio Affiliate, Treasurer
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- PhD - International Business Administation, Management Information Systems Concentration, Texas A&M International University, Laredo, Texas
- Master of Professional Accountancy, Texas A&M International University, Laredo, Texas
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Accounting and Management Information Systems, St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas