COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Dean: Michael J. Laney, PhD
Welcome to Providence Country!
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is home to the programs that are the heartbeat of the University's liberal arts mission. All students take CAS courses to fulfill general education requirements; build critical thinking and reasoning skills; and develop the values, ethics and knowledge, in a faith-based setting, that is critical to their success in the 21st century as they prepare for their future vocation or calling.
Students who major, or minor, in CAS degree programs work alongside world-class faculty, receive exceptional hands-on learning opportunities in a nurturing environment, and prepare for the global market through practicums, internships, service and volunteer opportunities, as well as through campus productions and organizations. Students network with industry leaders and mentors, while building portfolios and
résumés long before graduation.
The low student to faculty ration allows for one-on-one interaction, whether face-to-face or in an online environment, and provides students with unique opportunities to collaborate with faculty on student research and scholarly creative projects. The student success-centered environment also supports faculty with the resources to mentor students and help them achieve success, through selecting the classes, internships and activities to meet vocational, professional, and graduate school goals.
With small classes, stunning award-winning architecture, a distinctively Catholic environment, distinguished faculty and a variety of degree options, OLLU's College of Arts and Sciences will prepare students to realize their dreams, their calling and their goals for the future.
Dr. Michael J. Laney
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Highlights of the College of Arts and Sciences include:
- Science and math programs that serve as pathways to top medical schools and other allied health graduate programs
- $2.4 million renovation of science and math facilities that provide students state-of-the-art equipment
- New programs that have been nationally recognized for promoting Latinos/as in the important STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) - Chemical Biology and Biomathematics
- Modern digital multimedia and design studios
- Federal, state and city internships for Political Science-Pre Law and Legal Process majors
- One-of-a-kind Bachelor of Music program in Sacred Music
- Award-winning student newspaper and online news site
- Religious studies and philosophy programs that provide students a basis in ethics and the OLLU heritage
- History-Integrated Digital and Public History and Mexican American Studies programs that enlighten students on the heritage and culture of the region
- An annual Literary Festival that brings nationally recognized authors and literary artists to campus
- Spanish department that serves as the center of the University's unique Biliterate Certificate Program
- A Mass Communication and Drama program that nourishes creative talent while preparing students for dealing with the business side of acting
Phone: 210-434-6711, ext. 2240
Email: College of Arts and Sciences