THE REBUILDING OF MAIN

The Main Building of Our Lady of the Lake University was the first building erected on the campus in 1895 and has always served as a landmark for the community and beyond with the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes sitting atop the roof in between two majestic silver spires.  On May 6, 2008, a fire ripped through the top of the building and destroyed the roof and the fourth floor.  Thankfully, no one was injured in the four-alarm blaze but the damage left the University without one of its major facilities that had long served as a welcoming place for students and the community at large.

The rebuilding process was completed November 2010.

Rebuilding: Under the direction of Kell Mu├▒oz Architects and Bartlett Cocke General Contractors, Main was renovated six months ahead of schedule and on budget.

Interior: Approximately 87,000 square feet.

Exterior: A rebuilt spire was set atop the North Tower on April 21, 2010. Ornate cresting railings and weathervanes have been restored.

First floor: Ornate tiles preserved. Parlors and ornate woodwork restored. Location for Academic Affairs, Career Development Center, Human Resources.

Second floor: Academic offices in English, History, Political Science, Mexican American Studies. Smart classrooms. Offices for Lake Front Student Newspaper. Television and Communications Studio.

Third floor: New location for School of Business and Leadership. Executive Conference Center. smart classrooms.

Fourth floor: Offices of Finance, Compliance, Enrollment Management.

Life Safety features: Complete sprinkler and alarm networks. Redesigned access. Second elevator installed. ADA compliant.

Green features: All new low e-windows. High efficiency HV/AC throughout. High efficiency lighting. Cork flooring.   

Rebuilding costs: Covered through fire insurance, OLLU fundraising and new markets tax credits facilitated through Capital One Bank.

Blessing and Dedication: November 12, 2010.
© Copyright 2014, Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St., San Antonio, TX 78207 | Tele: 210-434-6711