What is information literacy?
Information Literacy is the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze, and use information1. There are five basic standards that define the set of abilities that an information literate student needs to develop. They are:
- The information student determines the nature and extent of the information needed.
- The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into his or her knowledge base.
- The information literate student, individually or as a member of a group, uses information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose.
- The information literate student understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.
1Association of College & Research Libraries’ Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
The mission of the Sueltenfuss Library is to cultivate information literacy at OLLU by:
- Teaching the lifelong skills of finding and evaluating information in order for students to succeed at OLLU and beyond.
- Working collaboratively with faculty to identify resources and learning activities to teach information literacy competencies2.
- Designing assignment-specific library instruction sessions for courses as requested by the instructor.
2Competencies as defined by the Association of College & Research Libraries’ Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
Find Your Library Liaison
Each department is assigned a faculty librarian as their instruction and research liaison. Faculty librarians provide face-to-face and online information literacy class instruction as well as individual instruction. Ask a librarian for a your departments liaison.
Schedule an Information Literacy Class
Information literacy classes are available in face-to-face and online formats for all courses in San Antonio, Woodlands, and RGV. Sessions cover topics from general orientation to assignment specific instruction. To schedule an information literacy class click here.
For more about Informtion literacy contact Steve Wise, email@example.com
To view the PDF files on this page click on the followign link to download the free version of Adobe Reader.