The Bachelor of Music degree at OLLU helps students prepare for a career in music. The program emphasizes choral conducting, performance study, music ministry, music theory, music history and ethnomusicology.
The Music department frequently hosts prestigious academic conferences, such as the American Musicological Society, music festivals and competitions, in addition to the OLLU All-State High School Honor Choir Camp and the High School Mariachi Camp during the summer. Small classes allow for personal attention to every student in the music program. Music majors and minors may join the Delta Omega Chapter of Mu Phi Epsilon Music Honor Fraternity.
Facilities include the Sacred Heart Chapel, Gutierrez World Instrument and Linna Merritt-Crowe Vintage Instrument Collections, whose instruments advanced students may use; Pape Music Library and Technology Lab; keyboard lab; recital/ensemble rehearsal room; Thiry Auditorium--a 1,200 seat venue for performances; percussion studio, piano studio; practice rooms; and a student lounge.
Our faculty are accomplished professional performers, conductors, composers, research scholars and teachers. They bring a wealth of experience from the real world of professional music to the classroom, ensembles, and applied music studies.
Music degree plan and course descriptions
Participation in OLLU's choirs and ensembles helps students perfect their music talents, enhance their skills and prepare for live performances. With participation in these groups, students can earn credit, fulfill general education requirements, and enrich their college life.
- University Chorus - open to all students, the University Chorus performs popular and classical music. Members develop their voices through the music studied in formal and informal performances.
- Student Voice Recitals - all students taking private instruction in voice perform during recitals at the end of each semester.
- Chapel Chorus - open to all students, the Chapel the Chorus is a liturgical choir under the direction of Campus Ministry.
- Mariachi Ensemble - Mariachi OLLUtlan is a vibrant performing ensemble that reflects the rich cultural heritage of San Antonio. Students are provided with the skills to perform mariachi music at an artistic level and have many opportunities to perform. For more information, contact Dr. Elizabeth Dyer at 210-431-7082 or email@example.com.
- Wind Ensemble - the Wind Ensemble includes woodwinds, brass, and percussion. The ensemble performs in student recitals and for campus events. A placement audition is required, and some instruments are available for use. For more information, contact Dr. Elizabeth Dyer at 210-431-7082 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chamber Orchestra - the SACOLLUSA Chamber Orchestra includes violins, violas, cellos and bass players from OLLU, San Antonio College and the community. The ensemble performs in student recitals and for campus events at SAC and around San Antonio. A placement audition is required, and some instruments are available for use.
- Guitar Ensemble - the Guitar Ensemble is intended for advanced students and the group performs works from the Renaissance, Romantic and contemporary repertoire. The ensemble performs regular on-campus recitals.
Biliterate Certificate Option
Students have the opportunity to earn a bilingual certification with their Bachelor of Music degree through the Biliterate Certificate Program. Read more information and view requirements for the Biliterate Certificate program here.