CATHOLIC IDENTITY/PROVIDENCE CHARISM
A Catholic education at Our Lady of the Lake University is shaped by our unique belief in God’s Providence. Because we believe in the reality of Providence, we are confident that we are guided by the loving power of God. This confidence impacts everything we do at the University and it prepares our graduates to go out into the world and make a difference.
This is the unique legacy of the Sisters of Divine Providence who founded our institution. As a member of our community, you will be imbued with our Providence charism as we work together to live out the mission of Our Lady of the Lake University.
In keeping with Catholic tradition of higher education and our Providence heritage, Our Lady of the Lake University strives to express its identity in the following manner. We as a community of scholars with a global Christian view of creation:
- Seek truth through the blend of faith and intellect
- View knowledge as a gift from God and not simply utilitarian and pragmatic
- Explore ultimate questions in the course of Christian reflection
- Pursue spiritual and secular wisdom informed by the diverse perspectives of the liberal arts and sciences
- Appreciate and respect the unique dignity of each person
- Attend to the less advantaged with a responsive service that fosters justice, peace, and freedom of the Gospels
- Celebrate and worship our God in the Catholic tradition
- Graduate proficient leaders of moral character who are committed to serve others
“Because we believe in the reality of Providence, we are confident that the movements of history in which we participate are guided by the loving power of God.” -- Sisters of Divine Providence constitution