PROGRAM DESIGN & COMPONENTS
In addition to competitive events, a variety of educational events and activities will be sponsored, including:
- OLLU Speaks:A podcast that focuses on important current events, provides students an outlet to voice their opinions and informs the community.
- Roger A. Flores Invitational Tournament for High School Students:OLLU students can gain valuable experience by organizing a tournament for local high schoolers. This greatly extends the benefits of the program into the community and OLLU’s outreach for new enrollment.
- Lectures/Seminars: For the benefit of team members as well as the community, we intend to organize periodic forums in which civic leaders and professionals share their experience on public speaking, giving presentations, listening skills and related topics.
- Collaboration:Benefitting both team members and the community, various events will include political round table discussion about local issues in collaboration with the political science student organization, performances of new works with writers groups on campus, and performances for meetings and events as requested by campus and community groups.
- Recruitment:The team actively recruits students from other forensic programs both in high schools and two-year colleges. Our Spring Recruitment Showcase allows team members to present their works and experiences on the team; attendees receive information about Our Lady of the Lake University.
- Community Service:For students to become effective communicators, leaders, and civil servants they must be actively involved in the community and aware of the needs of that community. Team members develop and participate in opportunities for community service both on campus and off.
- Digital Portfolios: Current hiring trends indicate that many businesses are asking for digital portfolios as part of the hiring process. Using some of the student’s speeches and debates, we will create digital portfolios that include videos highlighting the student’s proficiency in speaking and reasoned discourse as well as a resume and references. This digital portfolio will help make students competitive in the job market.