Master Technology Teacher
Mexican American Studies
and Biliterate Studies
Department of Applied Social and Cultural Sciences
Political Science Department
Religious Studies and Theology
Natural Sciences Department
Communication and Learning Disorders Department
Social Work Program
Generic Special Education
Master of Education
Master of Arts in Sociology
Early Elementary Education
MS in Psychology - The Woodlands
Master of Education with Non-Traditional Certification
MBA Management Online
MEd in School Counseling Online
Leadership Studies Department
Computer Information Systems and Security Department
Back to Main Page
Course Rotation Schedule
Frequently Asked Questions
EDUC 6376 DL - Designing Professional Development
In PDF format | In Rich Text format
Critical examination of convergent research for application in the school environment. Identification of professional development needs and development of adult learning situation to promote positive change.
Advance Assignment / Course Orientation
To prepare for the kickoff of this course, please do the following advance assignments:
1. Establish, if you haven't already done so, an OLLU email account.
2. Find a digital picture or set of pictures that tell about yourself and/or work and family. (You can either take shots with a digital camera or scan pictures to digitize images.)
3. Obtain a PC microphone and practice recording voice using the Sound Recorder (Start - Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder). This is optional, but having the ability to communicate via voice tools sometimes help make our discussions more personal!
4. Obtain your course textbooks. The Sparks book is available online and will be the one we will start the course with. The Brooks-Young text will be our focus after mid-term.
5. Log into WebCT by following the login instructions below. Once the course is live, you will be able to access it from your main menu. Spend time browsing through the syllabus, assignment dropbox and discussion board areas. Note that the first discussion board item asks that you provide some biographical information about yourself. (This is where you’ll attach a picture(s). It helps us connect each name, face, and story!)
6. Plan to meet online on January 12, 2008 for an online orientation chat session. This session is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. (CST) and you should attend by going to our WebCT site. Scroll down on the homepage until you see “Orientation Chat”. I will provide a real-time overview of the course guidelines and expectations. Try logging in before the scheduled chat to ensure that your system works. I will typically chat via type, but sometimes tap into my microphone. It helps if you have a pair of headphones or speakers on standby. See you there!
Regular access to the Internet and WebCT.
Sparks, D. (2002). Designing Powerful Professional Development for Principals and Teachers. National Staff Development Council. http://www.nsdc.org/library/book/sparksbook.pdf
Brooks-Young, S. (2007) Digital –Age Literacy for Teachers: Applying Technology Standards to Everyday Practice. Washington D.C: International Society for Technology in Education.
Getting Started in this Class
As soon as the Lake Online course is ready and students have all been enrolled, you should be able to go to the Lake Online login page and enter using your student ID number (7 digits) and a temporary password of "webct".
The targeted ‘ready’ date is tentatively set for January 10th. If you are able to log in successfully, browse the course site so that you can become familiar with the new layout. We will use the calendar, assignments, and discussion board the most so pay close attention to these. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the course syllabus. Bring any questions you might have to the chat session scheduled for Saturday, January 12th @ 4:00 p.m.
Important: Before the chat, take time to run the setup wizard (right side of the login page) to make sure that your computer is ready for chat.
Lake Online Login Page
Our Lady of the Lake University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Our Lady of the Lake University.
Our lady of the Lake University
Maps & Directions
Copyright & Policies
© Copyright 2014, Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St., San Antonio, TX 78207 | Tele: 210-434-6711