Mission, Vision and
Main Building Dedication
The Rebuilding of Main
Completed fall 2010
About Main Building
The Fire: May 6, 2008
Rebuilding News and Info
Main Building Corporate Sponsors
Board of Trustees
Congregation of Divine Providence
Higher Education for a New America
Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Points of Pride
News and Events
Maps & Directions
Social Media at OLLU
Public Complaint Policy
Website Content Editor Login
ABOUT MAIN BUILDING
Main Building lit up for November 2010 reopening.
The fire on the evening of May 6, 2008 caused significant damage to the historic Main Building of Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU). With its two distinctive silver spires, the beloved Main Building was the first structure erected on the campus in 1895. The façade of the Main Building has become well-known throughout the city and beyond as the face of the Catholic university, which was founded by the Congregation of Divine Providence.
In 1895, the central section of the building (the part between the two turrets) appeared first, with the north wing added in 1899 and the south wing in 1900.
Throughout the years, renovations have included:
– Five-foot high statue of Our Lady of Lourdes was blessed and placed in the elevated niche above the main entrance
– Chapel renovation
– Stone statue of Our Lady with the child Jesus installed outside in front of Main Building entrance
– Chapel removed from Main Building
– Theresian Hall added
– College dining room and library rooms added
– Elevator installed
– Main Building (along with others) restored for $1.1 million
– Four-alarm fire destroys Main Building roof, water and smoke cause extensive damage throughout the building
– Rebuilding takes place. The two and a half year process includes removal all furnishings and damaged flooring, ceiling and wall materials; an extensive drying out process; reconstruction of the roof; rebuilding of the damaged spire; reconfiguration of space on all floors; and the addition of the latest in educational, safety and energy efficient materials and technology.
November 12, 2010
– Blessing, dedication and reopening of Main Building.
The Main Building has served multiple purposes throughout its rich history and at one time has served as the motherhouse, a residence for students and a place of worship. Always an institution of learning, the building opened its doors in 1896 as Academy of Our Lady of the Lake.
Although the fire on May 6, 2008 destroyed one of the beautful spires and the top floor of the building, during and after the fire, the statue of Our Lady stood and remained undamaged. She watched over the University through the rebuilding process and now stands over the completely restored and renewed Main Building.
Our lady of the Lake University
Maps & Directions
Copyright & Policies
© Copyright 2012, Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St., San Antonio, TX 78207 | Tele: 210-434-6711