John Gómez, Ph.D.
Chair, Psychology Undergraduate Program and Associate Professor
Office: Moye 405
Phone: 210-434-6711, ext. 2728
Postdoctoral Study, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1998-2000.
Ph.D., University of Michigan (clinical psychology), 1998 (APA-Accredited). Internship: Department of Psychiatry (outpatient & inpatient clinics), University Hospital, University of Michigan Medical Center (APA-Accredited).
M.A., University of Michigan (psychology), 1994.
B.A., St. Mary’s University (psychology major, computer science minor), 1991.
Clinical Interests: Specialize in adult psychopathology & personality structure (personality disorders); primarily cognitive and cognitive-behavioral, with an interpretive framework that involves psychodynamic, family systems, and sociocultural perspectives.
Research Interests: Mental health diagnoses and clinical judgment, especially the diagnostic relevance of stereotypic information (e.g., race/ethnicity, gender); intergroup relations and discrimination involving ethnic minorities (race) and women (gender); masurement, especially questionnaire design; and self-esteem and self-evaluation.
Courses Taught: Department of Psychology -- Graduate level: Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies, Experimental Design & Statistics, Research Methods & Procedures; Undergraduate level: Abnormal Psychology, GRE Exam Preparation, Learning and Cognition, Psychological Research Methods, Introduction to Psychology; Center for Leadership Studies -- Doctoral level: Research Methods I: Intermediate, Research Methods II: Advanced.
- Brown, T. N., Sellers, S. L & Gomez, J. P. (2002) The relationship between internalization and self-esteem among black adults, Sociological Focus, 35(1), 55-71.
- Gomez, J. P. & Trierweiler, S. J. (2001) Does discrimination terminology create response bias in questionnaire studies of discrimination? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 27, 630-638.
- Trierweiler, S. J., Neighbors, H. W., Munday, C., Thompson, E. E., Binion, V. J., & Gomez, J. P. (2000). Clinician attributions associated with the diagnosis of schizophrenia in African American and Non-African American patients, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68(1), 171-175.
- Gomez, J. P. & Trierweiler, S. J. (1999) Exploring cross-group discrimination: Measuring the dimensions of inferiorization. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 29, 1900-1926.
- Neighbors, H. W., Trierweiler, S. J., Munday, C., Thompson, E. E., Binion, V. J., & Gomez, J. P. (1999). The psychiatric diagnosis of African Americans: Diagnostic divergence in clinician-structured and semi-structured interviewing conditions. Journal of the National Medical Association, 91(11), 601-612.