HISTORY OF THE SUELTENFUSS LIBRARY

Sister Elizabeth Anne Sueltenfuss
 



Sister Elizabeth Anne Sueltenfuss

In September 2000, University President Sally Mahoney dedicated the Sueltenfuss Library in honor of Sister Elizabeth Anne Sueltenfuss, the fourth president of Our Lady of the Lake University.

Sister Sueltenfuss, President Emerita, has had a long and distinguished association with the University. She became a student in at the then Our Lady of the Lake College in 1937 and received her BA from the University in 1944. In 1963, she received her PhD in microbiology from Notre Dame. She entered the convent of the Sisters of Divine Providence in 1937. After teaching in high schools in Oklahoma and Louisiana, she became a member of the University faculty in 1949 with a teaching career in the sciences. In 1978, she became President of the University.

Her impressive tenure as president was marked by educational leadership, by the creation of a weekend college for non-traditional students, and by the construction of several new buildings. An active leader in the San Antonio community, she generously contributed her time and efforts to a wide variety of civic and educational institutions, serving at one time as an active member of 35 organizations. She assumed major leadership roles in educational endeavor which addressed educational concerns with inadequate school completion and performance rates of poor and minority students.

The library, which was Sister Sueltenfuss’ dream, was financed by the In Libris Veritas capital campaign she began.

Sister Sueltenfuss retired from Our Lady of the Lake University in 1997. She passed away on December 19, 2009 at the age of 88. Learn more about her legacy.

© Copyright 2014, Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St., San Antonio, TX 78207 | Tele: 210-434-6711