OLD SPANISH MISSIONS COLLECTION
CENTER FOR MEXICAN AMERICAN STUDIES AND RESEARCH

Available to researchers in microfilm and photostatic form are duplicates of documents made in archives located throughout Mexico, Spain, France, England, and Italy. The majority were duplicated in Franciscan Archives in Zacatecas, Celaya, and Queretaro, Mexico, and in the Archivo General de Indias, Sevilla. Of significance also are duplicates made in the Museo Naval, the Archives Departementales de Seine-Marine, and the Ministre de Outre Mer.

The documents offer a wealth of information on Spanish Colonial missions and presidios (1680-1820) and shipwrecks off the Texas coast (1550-1850).

Also included in the collection are the colonial records known as the Saltillo Archives, as well as photographs, slides, maps, and drawings of the San Antonio Missions and other Spanish sites relevant to Texas and mission history.

The papers of Marion Habig, OFM, Benedict Leutenegger, OFM, Christine Morkovsky, CDP, and the Rev. Monsignor William H. Oberste, P.A. form a corpus of manuscripts by Spanish mission historians. Available also are the research papers and correspondence of David McDonald, historical translator.

The Old Spanish Missions Collection is available to researchers by appointment. For an appointment to access the archival collection, please contact Dr. Maria Eva Flores, CDP at mcflores@ollusa.edu or call 210-528-7042.
© Copyright 2014, Our Lady of the Lake University, 411 S.W. 24th St., San Antonio, TX 78207 | Tele: 210-434-6711