Managing your weight by eating well and being active is the main foundation for living a healthy life. Maintaining a healthy weight helps reduce your risk of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, Type II Diabetes, osteoarthritis, and strokes. It also helps you to fight cancer.
You and your BMI...
An important step toward a healthy BMI and a healthy lifestyle is healthy eating. Good health guidelines to follow are:
- Paying attention to portion sizes to control your calories, fat, and sugar.
- Eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits each day.
- Choosing 2-3 servings a day of milk and/or milk products.
- Choosing a variety of grains daily, especially whole grains.
- Including one to two servings of protein-rich foods in your diet.
- Limiting foods high in fat, especially saturated fat.
- Limiting alcohol and high-sugar foods and beverages.
- Drinking at least six glasses of water every day.
- Being physically active for at least 30 minutes, five or more days a week.
Calculate your BMI, use this easy link: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/