The Communication and Learning Disorders (CDIS) department at OLLU has been in existence since 1955 and was one of the earliest programs in communication disorders established in Texas. The funding, plan, and design for the building and the initiative for the program were due to the inspiration and hard work of Elizabeth Carrow-Woolfolk. The Elizabeth Carrow-Woolfolk Historical Collection and archives is maintained in the Harry Jersig Speech-Language-Hearing Center.
- Sr. Mary Arthur Carrow (Woolfolk), PhD, Founder & Director of Harry Jersig Center & Jersig School of Communication Disorders from 1960-1968
- John P. Moncur, PhD, Director of Harry Jersig Center & Jersig School of Communication Disorders from 1968-1970
- Sister Lourdes Leal, PhD, Director of Harry Jersig Center & Jersig School of Communication Disorders from 1971-1983
- Patricia Myers, EdD, Chair from 1970-1973
- Edward E. Ferrier, PhD, Chair from 1974–1977 Jersig School of Communication Disorders
- Jane Davidson, Director of Clinical Services from 1975-1991, in 1991-92 Ms Davidson’s title was changed to “Clinical Coordinator”
- Hanna R. Bell, PhD, Director (Chair) Program of Communication Disorders from 1982-1985.
- Earlene Tash Paynter, PhD, Director of Communication Disorders Program from 1985-1989.
- Anthony P. Salvatore, PhD, Clinic Director/Chair, Program in Communication & Learning Disorders from 1989-1996
- Mary Ann Acevedo, PhD, Clinic Director & Dept. Chair from 1996-2009; Dept. Chair 2009-2010
- Mary Ruth Fernandez, PhD, Clinic Coordinator from 2009-2010
- Eva E. Nwokah, PhD, Dept. Chair from 2010-present
- Rosa L. Martinez, MA, Clinic Director from 2010-present